Zac Efron illness irony

Zac Efron was filming a new off-gid adventure series entitled “Killing Zac” when he was taken ill and nearly died, in a story that will…

Never Again! Lets Close PG&E

Two major wildfires that raged in California for the past ten days are finally contained. But the debate and aftermath will rage for months. California’s…
Huge motorhome wth side door and steel shitters

Brexit made me go off-grid

Dave Goodwill told fellow-members on Quora how he made the choice to go off-grid: Brexit will greatly improve my life. I’ve been struggling with seasonal…

Dave LaChapelle — off-grid with style

An off-grid photographer has created Lavazza’s 2020 calendar and he calls it an Ode to Nature. American photographer David LaChapelle, made commercials and music videos…

Digital detox weekend

We’re on our way to West Virginia for a low-tech weekend at promisingly-named Lost River State Park – just across the Virginia border in Mathias,…

Should I live on a boat?

WHATis it really like living on a canal boat or on the river? So many of us have wondered if it would be a way…

Opting out of the Phone race

When you’re trying to keep things simple and low tech, you want a low impact, low maintenance phone. Something that you can use in case…

Thomasin McKenzie interview

Thomasin McKenzie, 19, came to fame as a Hollywood actress playing an off-grid character. Q: You broke out in last year’s Leave No Trace –…

10 Best Solar-Powered Colleges In The US

Solar energy is the fastest growing green energy source. It takes care of the environment, bestows energy independence, and os a cost-effective solution. Below is…

Extinction Rebellion protests continue

Climate activists Extinction Rebellion continued their global “summer rebellion” in London and Munich today. In London, the target was London Concrete, the British capital’s biggest…

Timber Festival UK – Review

Daisy Stella Baldwin reports from Leicestershire…. It was raining hard when we arrived at Timber Festival 2019; a three-day festival of music, arts and performance…

Off-road vehicle, off-grid home

Are you looking to exchange a comfortable middle class home for life sitting round a campfire? You might be in luck. Winnebago Industries has recently…

3D printed House in 24 hours

A house which was 3D printed in just 24 hours went up last month, in the town of Stupino, Western Russia. With 3D printers producing…

Understand Your Growing Zone

Growing your own food, and enough of it to last a while, is one of the pillars of living off the grid. Knowing about your…

Steve Miller leaves his island haven

Rocker Steve Miller’s remarkable off-grid retreat in Washington’s San Juan Islands finally sold for $8.5 million. The property was originally listed for $20 million in…

Islandeering

A new book about islandeering guides you through visits to some of the UK’s tiniest islands where there is no power or fresh water, and…

20 Acres Off-Grid Ready

Beautiful Cascade Mountains and Valley view from this 19.81 acres. Located in NE Washington. Property boasts a permitted well and 2 bed septic, 10×16 shop/storage,…

Go Your Own Way

Many of us have bellowed ‘Go your own way!’ at the top of our lungs when listening to Fleetwood Mac, but it’s in that pause…
Artist impression of Mantis RV

Ultimate RV

The Taxa range of RVs are specificaly designed for off-gridders
HJeremie outside his horsebox

Living in a Box, a 4-wheeled Box

Jeremie.C.Lingenheim could have anything he wants within reason. He could drive around London in a Porsche, but he prefers a motorbike. He could eat in…

Talk is Cheep

[before_listing images= youtube=null] Could-a, should-a, would-a. What’s it gonna take to wake you up? Unless you get off your butts yesterday, you are toast. In…

Island mansion for sale

Engels and Volkers are featuring this amazing off-grid home on a private island near Vancouver, British Columbia.  If the US $15 million price tag is…

Nuns growing medical marijuana

Holy Smoke!  From the LA Times to ABC Nightline, everybody loves the Sisters of the Valley, a group of nuns from Northern California who make…
A Tyalgum resident poses with his electric bike

Australia Decentralises

When folks first hear about Tyalgum, in East Australia they picture Mad Max. Steampunk locals power this dieselpunk outpost with renewable, ethanol-based Guzzolene. Tyalgum has…
cod liver trimmings

Food, not supplements

Food comes after water in the hierarchy of the things you need to sustain life off-grid. First Water, then Food, then Fire, then Shelter, although…
Tara Westover - Portrait

Tara Westover – Off-grid abuse

The shocking story of Tara Westover which she tells in her recently published memoir ‘Educated’ casts an undeserved shadow on off-grid-families and their ways of…
Fonder of water vapor firm

Zero Mass Water

A regular supply of drinking water is the holy grail for off-grid living. If you can get a bare minimum of water and heating of…
PR Blurb from property company

The House with No Bills

An Australian housebuilder has launched a search for a family to live in its prototype Home with No Energy Bills. Mirvac is building the house…

Three Rivers

FIRST there were the propane lamps. Then came wind turbines, followed by solar panels that powered William Shay’s off-the-grid vacation home overlooking Lake Billy Chinook.…

River mobile battery

Backup batteries? Got ’em. Mobile charging stations? Check. But I need a mobile battery that will keep my beer cold and charge my phone and…

Vamos a Ecuador

Me estoy mudando a Ecuador y tengo dinero para comprar tierras, pero quiero dividirme con personas de ideas afines.Las personas que respetan a la Tierra…

Artist Within a World

This amazing 360 degree work (only a part shown) by van-dwelling artist Emily Lamb is the product of her time in jungles and mountains around…

Water glass eggs?

One of the things that some of my neighbors have done when moving out to the country is get chickens, some do it for the…

10 years later…

It was 10 years ago on December 22 when PB and I (and our little chihuahua Pekoe) pulled up on our property, it was 3:30…

El Cáñamo esta caliente

¡El cáñamo está caliente! Va a ser un ajetreado 2018 para exposiciones y conferencias de Cannabis a nivel nacional e internacional. A continuación se muestra…

East Jesus

I think most everyone is familiar with “Slab City”, an abandoned military base in the Sonoran desert in California. This desolate place is a favored…
Peru View

Alone in the Peruvian Desert

Although every place on this planet is unique in its own way, Peru manages to stand out above the crowd because of its many natural…
Van life in Vancouver

Van life in Vancouver

Wow, that is my first thought about Atli and how she lives! She is a part-time bus driver, she can afford to work part time…
Coral eggs meet sperm deep under water

Great Barrier Reef – Coral Spawning

The world’s biggest living organism, the Great Barrier Reef, has held its annual Coral Spawning event, with trillions of eggs and sperm simultaneously releasing into…
Woman growing strawberries in a covered net box

5 tips on growing strawberries

Are strawberries your favorite fruit? Want to grow them yourself at home? Here’s 5 tips on how to grow more strawberries than expected! Practice makes…
Picture of the Volkner Mobil Performance S

Luxury Volkner Motorhome

The Volkner mobil performance s is the future of road living. The 40ft luxury motorhome comes with all of the mod-cons you could possibly wish for.…

Fantasy cottage by the sea

Do you remember the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel? Well, if they had a house today, this would be it! Located next to the ocean…
chicken eating pumpkin seeds

Low maintenance Chickens

It’s great to rear chickens – eggs, scratchy kind of companionship, and eventually a roast bird. But should every off-grid home have a few? They…