Off-Grid update

Winter is coming, it’s well into fall and the season is definitely changing. The air is cooler, especially in the mornings, crisp, I can smell…

Freezing food

For the longest time, I’d buy my produce at the farmer’s market over the weekend. When the next Friday rolled around and I hadn’t used…

Water-cooled solar panel

A new solar harvester that can provide power and clean water is in the works. Its hardly suprising that panels can overheat in the very…

Garlic festival

ORANGE, MASS, 28 Sept — Thousands of people began making their way to a field in the middle of nowhere Saturday to enjoy the 16th…
Professor Camilo Mora predicts 5 BILLION deaths through global warming by 2050

Alaska to be the next Florida?

Climate change will make the most desirable places to live currently, uninhabitable by the middle of this Century – according to a scientific paper in…

Retired Engineer pimps his RV

Thomas “Tim” Lemieux lives in an unlikely showcase for green energy: a 1997 Winnebago recreational vehicle. Scale a narrow ladder up the side of the…

New hybrid generator

UK Digger and Tractor manufacturer, JCB has launched its first hybrid diesel-electric generator set, supposedly intended for the off-grid market. But it does not allow…

Picking the wrong plant

Since having such a wet rainy season, as compared to the previous several rainy seasons, I have seen many more species of wild plants growing,…

Greedy power companies in Queensland

By David French – journalist on the Queensland Times (a greedy newspaper) RATHER than embracing change, the owner-custodians of Queensland’s power industry have treated it…

Bobbage bridge update

Strange name for a title, Bobbage, well if you have followed me for any length of time, you will know that Bobbage is what we…

Make a wish, believe in it

As the end of summer slides past us, the days are getting shorter and cooler. Our rainy season has all but ended,  the last few…

London party for Finding Infinity

London, 4 September 2014 – Fashion Designer Vivienne Westwood held the first of a series of solar-powered parties to promote the use of renewable energy.…

Fermented foods

Earlier today, after church, I was getting ready to lay down to take a nap, the radio was playing softly in the background, I typically…

Invisible Woman re-elected

They just don’t get it do they? The Green Party, once the repository for the hopes and dreams of UK environmentalists, continues to do everything…

Building up

This young family lives in Portland Oregon on a half lot, their home is very small by most standards, preferring to build UP instead of…
Edisto river canoe and tree house experience

Tree house vacation

Book a tree house on the Edisto River. These tree houses have no electricity or running water, but are considered one of the South Carolina…
$700 energy gather and storage

Cheap portable solar power setup

The chatter about solar power and energy storage over the last few years, might make you come to the wrong conclusion that such systems are…

Harvesting Excess Man Made Energy

Albany NY designer, Manoocher Zarif is piloting a device that converts vibrations found in urban traffic into electricity. The industrial design graduate came across the…

Legal tiny home

I love these tiny homes, this one is particularly interesting because it’s completely legal, not saying all the other tiny homes are illegal, in some…

Nick Rosen appearances this month

Utah public radio, USA on 20th August at 9AM MST for one hour OFF-GRID FESTIVAL on 14th August at 3pm Contact nick@off-grid.net with any questions…

Platinum fuel cell trials in S Africa

Renewable Energy mag reports Canadian fuel cell manufacturer Ballard Power Systems and Anglo American Platinum, the world’s largest primary producer of platinum, have launched a…

Permaculture in Moretown, Vermont

Ben Falk is a permaculture designer based in Moretown, Vermont. In this video, he speaks about different aspects of homesteading and cold weather, notably his…

A new doc in town

I think I am in love, and it’s with another man, but it’s not what you might think :) About a month ago, I took…

Total Luxury with no Utilities

A luxury hotel with no mains utilities is being built on the island of Zanzibar, off the coast of Tanzania. The Uzuri Hotel Resort, anticipated…

Delivery Van to RV for £6000

The ordinary-looking blue van has a chimney protruding from the roof. This leads down to a wood burner in the former window-glazing truck, which a…

A bridge to Bobbage

Living here going on 8 years and we still have to hike up to the sky castle, the reason is because of a seasonal creek…

Off the Grid and On the Cloud

Why do we have the slogan “off the grid and on the cloud?” Because we advocate combining ancient wisdom with the latest technology. It’s great…
Apple Corporation facilities are self powered - is 94% off-grid

Apple to leave the grid behind

Computer maker Apple has long been providing its own power at its HQ in Cupertino CA. Now the company has announced it is extending the…

Gardening roundtable

About a week ago, I got a phone call from one of my neighbors and friends out here, it was time to do another gardening…

Happy Father’s Day

My Dad is much of the reason why I am getting to live my dream, he gave me a sense of adventure from a young…

off the grid but on the cloud

Cloud computing may seem incompatible with being off-grid, but there are ways to live in the cloud even when you don’t have an Internet connection.…
Former Law enforcement officer has had it with the man. Living off the grid is his solution

Ex-cop predicts collapse

Harold Smith cam on our YouTube page today, commenting on our video Inside the Movement as follows: I spent 20 years in law enforcement, and…

Spring in the Sky Castle

I do my best to see the bright side of life and everything in it, take winter for instance, the cold temps means there are…

Utility companies are toast

Latest episode of Off-Grid News focuses on the death of the Utility company business model as more people go off-grid. Auto Amazon Links: No products…

Lost Faith in the System

Joachim Hagopian voices the feelings of millions of Americans The forsaken American population finds itself more in poverty (46.2 million people) as well as more…

Tiny home in Hawaii

I think we can all appreciate Johnny Sanphillippo’s situation, he worked hard at a job he loved that unfortunately didn’t net him a large salary,…
how to protect your privacy online

Online privacy – talks series

A californian hacker is touring the world giving advice on how to protect your own privacy. This summer Abhay Agarwal is hosting dozens of conversations…

Shop the bunker

The Spectator newspaper reports that an architect who usually designs Manhattan skyscrapers was recently asked to pitch for a far more interesting project. The client,…

America Unplugged – new series

Sportsman Channel is getting unplugged in a new TV series about people living off-grid. Premiering June 5 at 8 p.m. (ET) America Unplugged, hosted by…

Keeping it clean…

Hygiene while living off-grid, especially if you are living rough and/or just starting out, keeping clean can be one of the challenges. When PB and…
Barton St David, Plotgate farm aims to persuade locals

New rural community to launch

As the nation’s housing crisis (also known as the nation’s house price bubble) intensifies, part of the solution is hiding in plain sight – cheap…
British Gas owned by Centrica gives staff bonuses for ripping off old people

British Gas customer ripoffs – more info

British Gas workers who doubled bills ‘were treated like celebrities and given free helicopter rides for ripping off customers’ say Whistleblowers. Those producing high profits…

Illegal to be off-grid?

Apparently it is illegal in some places, Florida makes off-grid living illegal – mandates all homes must be connected to an electricity grid. It’s no…

Tiny home UK – £2500

A quiet corner of a farm near Birmingham has become a workplace for a busy mum-of-two. Just 20 yards from her house is Paula Fallows’…

Fox Schlock Seeks to Shock

My goodness, are those people at Fox Network total scumbags or what? Their latest big idea is a show called Utopia where a bunch of…

Phantom loads

Sounds like something that should be discussed during October, it is scary, but not in a paranormal way…. a phantom load is simply electricity that…

The wearable revolution

By Rachel Botsman – a global thought leader on the power of collaboration. What if you could draw a dollar sign in mid-air, followed by…

Building WIld

The task is simple — take cabin-building to new extremes. Tackling this on “Building Wild” are opposites. Pat “Tuffy” Bakaitis knows cabins; he has five…

Another cool tiny home

If This House Doesn’t Look Like Much To You, Wait Til You Go Inside. I Love Everything About This. After spending years in the rat…

Scotland’s last wildnerness

Off-grid energy company Knoydart Renewables in Scotland is one of several projects to benefit from a new GBP1m Highland Sustainable Fund. It will receive GBP75,000…

100 things to do on British Waterways

The Canal & River Trust (formerly British Waterways) is publishing details of 100 readymade waterway days out (canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit) to give individuals, couples and families a…

US Army huge solar farm

Normally we do not like solar farms – they are usually built to feedinto the Grid – but not this one. The army just kicked…
community politics, how to live off-grid, living off-grid, off-grid living

A tale of two smallholdings

The contrasting fortunes of two British smallholdings are a useful guide on how to succeed, and what NOT to do, if you are planning to…
onshore wqind farms, offshore wind farms add to corporate profits

Why we oppose Wind Farms

For some politicians it is a badge of honor to come out in favor of wind farms. It allows them to suck up to green…

New golf cart batteries

Today was the first full day on the new batteries, we had everything hooked up to them, including the new chest freezer to refrigerator conversion,…

Off-Grid hiccups

A while back my current deep cycle batteries began to get weak, they would charge up quickly and not hold much of a charge, unfortunately…