Stealth camper van

Living out of a van, for some that would sound like a nightmare, for others, a dream come true. To happily live in a van,…

Go away mosquito!

Is Zika a real problem, is it a man made disease, or is it just a smokescreen to deflect our attention somewhere else? I don’t…

It’s not illegal to DIY

When I was a kid, electronics and appliances came ready for the end user to repair when necessary, radios and TVs had vacuum tube that…

A woman living off-grid

As a woman living off-grid, I can speak definitively about this. But apparently I’m not the average woman. Many women I speak to, they tend…

Life updates in west Texas

Things have been going pretty well here in the SkyCastle, summer is definitely knocking, warm to hot days, cool to cold nights… The rainy season…

Root cellars

With spring in the air, summer right around the corner, many of our gardens are booming with lots of produce, much of it we eat…

Motivation

There are many things that motivate us, motivation is neither positive or negative, though many think of it as a positive thing, but it isn’t…
Thomas Massie is a right wing libertarian

Off-Grid Congressman

Kentucky Congressman Thomas Massie lives off the grid with his family, on a cattle farm in a solar-powered home he built himself. He commutes to…

Hunting in the evening

I went hunting tonight, my quarry is small and hard to find, unless you have the right equipment. I only bagged one this evening, it…

Updates on the SkyCastle

Building up and across is what PB (Primitive Bob) likes to do, here is an update on 2 of his projects, works in progress, or…

She built this

It’s said that necessity is the mother of invention, well this mom and her three young kids were very much in need of a place…

What are you waiting for?

I hear so many folk saying what they’d like to be doing, they want to go off-grid, they want to be more self sustainable, they…

Beth’s van conversion

Vandwelling is an interesting way to live, having your home and your vehicle all in one, this lady converted her van into a home herself,…

Making a tree sanctuary

Shelli Stanback didn’t just want to write checks to worthy causes that help preserve our natural world or promote a healthier future. “It’s a different…

Mobile homeless

I write quite a bit about tiny homes, both on and off wheels, many choose to live this lifestyle in tiny accommodations, some of the…

Off-Grid Festival 2016

A unique festival that teaches us How to live “Off-Grid” and in “harmony with our environment” Off-Grid festival is an green gem of a family…
Writer Dovely holding her baby goat

Going Off-Grid – Jump, Run or Walk

By Dovely from cherrylovefarmm.com Figuring out how to get from where you are to that sustainable garden of Eden can be daunting. We would all…

Buy a town in Southern Nevada

There’s an entire town on the market in rural Southern Nevada; Before the economy crashed there was a queue of buyers. Senate Minority Leader Harry…

Small is the new large

Since moving off-grid, many of my day to day things have had to be downsized, my fridge for one, I went from having a full…

Veg-oil powered bus

“Buses convert really well to motor homes…” says Jade, a builder who transformed a school bus into his beautiful home on wheels. The first thing…

Welcome

Looking for ways to get involved? or Looking to start your own off-grid community? Check out some of our features to get you started… Post…

Solar thermal pool heater

Imagine stepping out of your tiny off-grid home and diving into a large, warm swimming pool. Yes, the millionaire lifestyle but for only a few…

Gravel vac Bobbage

I seriously considered using a title that said something like “my hubby sucks”, but honestly I don’t need to hype what he does, he is…

off-grid living is good for your skin

Pollution is waging war on your complexion, new research shows. While our bodies are getting younger from careful eating and better exercise, our skin is…

Humor, off-grid

Living off-grid, much of our entertainment is self generated, in other words, we crack ourselves up :) A couple of days ago, this conversation could…

Spring is near

Spring is just around the corner, I am noticing the oak trees, which keep their leaves all winter long, are beginning to turn, they fall…

Is it too late?

What are your skills? Everyone has something they can do and do well, something that you enjoy doing, hopefully you are making your living doing…

Half track, full genius

The last couple of weeks, PB has been watching lots of track wheel vehicle videos on YouTube, I just thought he was on another rabbit…

High end tiny house

Most of the tiny homes I have seen are built on a tight budget, this one was built with more high end features in mind,…

Jean’s Yurt

Another in our series of photos by Beth Bicknell. Jean’s yurt was possible one of the most cosy, exquisite structures Beth visited. A yurt she’s…

Three things this week

First thing, as I sit here tonight, sipping herbal tea that tastes like a sugar cookie, it’s quite a different night from last night, for…

Off-Grid crock pot

I love the idea of cooking low and slow, but being off-grid means I don’t have the electricity to spare to run an electric crock…

Bob’s Van

Bob is a blacksmith living in a van within wooded area owned by friends, just outside of a small village in Mid Wales. He’s lived…

Living in a greenhouse

I’m sure I’m not the only person who ever wondered how it would be to build a greenhouse around your house, these folk in Stockholm…

He was my inspiration

I grew up in a family that did things together, we didn’t have the money to spend on vacations or trips, but we always ate…
Mike Basich - in his self built home next to the ski slopes

Pro-Snowboarder builds Tiny Home

Mike Basich was earning $170,000 a year, travelling the world to compete in international snowboarding championships and living in a 4,000 square foot home. Ten…
WIN A COPY OF "OFF THE GRID"  

WIN A COPY OF “OFF THE GRID”  

Do you have ​great pictures of your Off-Grid cabin, shack, trailer​…. ​or somebody else’s that you happened to be visiting? Now is your opportunity to…

Iron age reality show

The original reality show, filmed in 1978, 12 adults and 3 children were chosen from around 1000 volunteers to live in the “iron age”, they…

No debt

As I watched this video, listening to Karen and Bob describing their life in the home they built themselves, the one phrase that really jumped…

Off-grid community in Leipzig

Sustainability and pursuing the eco dream is no easy feat when living in the heart of a major European city. High rents, cramped living, pollution,…

Off-Grid girl on American Idol

All the way from a remote mountaintop 6 miles from Crawford CO, Jeneve Rose Mitchell didn’t think she was ready to take her small-town voice…
Wearable charging device that hanresses your own body movement

Harness your own kinetic energy

Ampy’s Move harnesses your own body energy and pumps it back into your cellphone or any other device. Checking the expected battery life of any…

Freezing week

A great deal of the USA went through a major deep freeze, we were not spared here in far west Texas. We got dumped on…

Florida: People vs. Utilities

A battle is developing in Florida between the solar power movement, and some of the most venal and vindictive utility companies in America. At stake is the…

Montana Music Man

Greg Grant, born in New York, has spent the last 21 years living in his self-built off-grid home in Montana. In this clip we interview…

Putting the Pee into PC

A new form of recycling is about to hit Silicon Valley. The eco-friendly technology uses urine to power a computer. The technology is the next…

Do you see what I see?

There are many things we can live without and still do pretty well, but eyesight isn’t one of them. I know there are many folk…

Heat my Homestead

There are many ways of staying warm in your off-grid home without the aid of the sun. Here are some tips on how to keep…

A post-consumerist speaks: I HAD IT WITH THE MAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDPFCztnaI Amanda Gang is weary of consumerism – appalled at the way her own parents are such avid shoppers. She just wants out. so she…

Free energy

A few years before we moved off-grid, I had discovered an energy drink that I liked and worked, it was 5 Hour Energy, I didn’t…

Blustery December

Winter is officially here, we have had a few hard freezes, it even snowed a bit the other day, fortunately the snow and other weather…
jeremy corbyn

Power to the people says Jeremy Corbyn

UK Labor Leader comes out for Distributed Power Says Britain must empower citizen suppliers and direct private investment into green technology “This week world leaders…
Printable Solar Cells

Printable Solar Cells

The Victorian Organic Solar Cell Consortium in Australia has started to showcase solar cells made with a 3D printer. According to Fiona Scholes, senior examination…
REfugee camps are almost permanent and residents are putting down roots for a permanent off-grid life

Refugee camps are future cities

The growing number of refugees flooding into camps worldwide could drastically redraw urban areas, it has been claimed. Most camps are largely off-grid, with fires…
Foraging

Foraging gifts for the family

Foraging for food sounds difficult but with these tips you will get an easy start – and soon become an expert forager. Introducing foraging into your…