Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    nick@off-grid.net
    Participant

I would love to hear more about this – please write and let me know how it goes

Anonymous
    Inactive

There’s a struggling off-grid group in SouthCentral Virginia on 84 acres…heavily wooded, near amish farms, nice small town 18 minutes away…have large unfinished cabin and smaller shacks, wood heat, limited electricity moving towards solar…rabbits, donkeys, some poultry…has been an intentional community in the past with RVers there…now just two single people looking for like-minded to join them

liam20011949at yahoo dot com

Dustoffer
    Participant

to the original poster, that is camping out, with its own regulations depending on location.  Usually there are time limits even if you own the property, unless you’ve put in a septic system.  Some experimental Earthships have solar toilets, but need a second system for cold and cloudy days.  Some places would accept a non-electric composting toilet.

Dustoffer
    Participant

Real Goods has various size micro-hydro generators, or you could just Google .  No dams, and if it is your side of the stream, and flowing fast enough in all seasons, free electricity with less hassle.  Hard to find land like that.

Dustoffer
    Participant

We’ve now been off-grid over 17 years.  Within 8 years there were no debts.  Everything self done with a lot of gumption.    Still need to go to the nearest town with stores about weekly, but I am now 65, and on SSA retirement.  Sweat equity and solar power did it, otherwise we would have to eat garbage ‘food’.  The Earthship only grows enough vegetables year round for one person, in reality.   Land line with half ass ‘high speed’ internet all bundled with Dish TV, and propane for heat, plus maintenance and replacement when necessary.  It is really  necessary to have some links with other people, and to have a source of income, and many talents, with energy to spare.

No island for me at the rate of sea level rise, and the fact that the Atlantic La Palma Slide tsunami and the Pacific Cascadia Event are both due.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone who IS doing this will not be reading your post on the internet will they?

I personally would be happy to be without the web if I had some good company. I wouldn’t want to be without light in Winter evenings though. Not being able to read or do craft work, repairs etc in the evenings would be too much like the ‘dark ages’ for me. Candles, oil lamps etc – not a good alternative when solar is so cheap and readily available.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are other ways to use water without making a dam. Search how a grist mill used a “floom”, this would eliminate several of the problems you listed. Also concider other electric options besides water wheel, solar or wind. You’d be surprised what you find when you do a little more research.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To my understanding, you can do this until your drivers lic needs to be renewed. The Gov won’t give you a renewal without a fixed address. Also my thoughts, $20 a day you still need an income of over $600 a month. To live in a fixed location you can live on less than $10 a day.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a 56 year old single male, living in Ontario, and I want to go off the grid. I was wondering where the property you are buying is located? I hope it is in an unincorperated township, other wise the paperwork alone will be a nightmare. I have spent the last 6 years researching Straw Bale homes, and that is the direction I want to go. I am interested in hearing from you.

esa.koho@yahoo.ca

Scott
    Participant

There are a few people on this site under the land buddies who are looking for people to join them. First decide where you want to do this and then see if there is anyone looking for people in that area. I  would go visit any communities to see if you like them and the people who live there’s lifestyle. Besides off-grid is there anything specific that you want? Some communities are more religious while others may not want any modern conveniences. Any that you do find ask if you can stay awhile before making a commitment.

If you haven’t already put an ad in the land buddy section of this site telling what you are looking for and location you would like to be in.

Scott

<span style=”font-size: 16px; line-height: 1.5;”>Alaska </span>

Angel
    Participant

Google dancing rabbit and earthaven.  I know there are more communities like this, but those are the two I have researched most extensively.

Good luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

My husband and I would love to live in an off-grid community. Are you still accepting people to go off-grid. Would love to do it this year. We are a mature couple with no kids. Please let us know. Thank you  friends222@hotmail.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, are you still looking for people to join your community. My husband & I would like to go off-grid this summer. Please let me know.

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also located in Cali. Looking for others to go OG with. Shoot me a message. B

BobbyKorona
    Participant

From Bob in Florida…what are you trying to do …get read of gray water or reuse it if you are not restricted by code ….talk to me…. will be working on the same thing this year …. fist will try a solar still to process 10 gallons a day to pure water ….32175w@gmail.com…. bob

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.