Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    lisaA
    Participant

I bought a Renogy 100 folding solar suitcase for about $ 280.00, i still have to buy a good battery – ( prices on those vary looking at about maybe 150.00 ) and then an inverter  for about another 100.00. ) so fro around 500 or so i should have a system to run a few things.   I am sure there are the same products out there that may cost a bit less, but i went with what had the best reviews and customer support!.      Now granted i have not set this all up yet- so maybe someone who has a system in place already can help out as well.

ravenv12
    Participant

Hello I’m in Georgia near the fl state line I’m just curious has anybody here done anything off-grid or knows of any communities that are in Georgia. Would love to know me and my wife are selling pretty much everything in our house and saving up money to buy a house and some land

winter74
    Participant

Hey there Greg,  I’m currently in Cumberland MD.  Good Luck. Just so you know the Oldtown area is in Allegany County.   There is also Garrett county.  That is west of us and it would be a nice place to go off-grid as well.   Another area you could check into, but it is in Allegany Co as well would be Flintstone, that is over the mountain from Oldtown.  I would pick Flintstone over Oldtown.  Well with all that being said my family and I want out of this town.  It’s just too close to D.C. for us.   We are looking to get out of this country.  Good luck with getting to Western MD.  It is beautiful here.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Phil, did you get anywhere with this? I’m interested in finding out more/getting involved.

Alex Hopley

Interesting read…!

All depends on how primitive they live… I can only speak for how things are for my family and friends to visit, no flush toilets, we have a simple composting toilet system. We do have internet and wifi so my guests can connect to the outside world if they wish.

It’s probably colder (right now) then most folk are used to, we don’t try very hard to keep the SkyCastle really warm, 50s-60s inside are the norm this time of year so dress warm and bring really warm sleepwear.

Our fridge is a converted chest freezer that is kept outside on a covered porch, no pretty shelves to store all the cold food, you have to reach down into the chest and you might have to remove a few layers of food packaging to get to the milk which is kept at the bottom (coldest part of the freezer to fridge conversion).

Tight quarters is the rule inside the SkyCastle, but we will make sure everyone has a seat. Outside is a different story, we have half a mountain for our family and friends to romp upon, not large enough to really get lost, but you can get away from everyone and enjoy peace and quiet.

We have lights and running water so that is pretty “normal” for everyone.

Where are you going to visit?

Oh and depending on the weather, it’s possible to get stuck in here during rains and bad weather. And also depending on the amount of sun, electricity may be limited during cloudy days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Visiting The Azores for the first time in January, purely a holiday at the minute.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve imagined off-grid living much like you explained.  I’ve prepared a list of communities I hope to visit.  You can view the list at https://tinyuniverse.org/community.pdf if you like.  I plan on outfitting a 4×4 vehicle and a camper trailer to travel in spring to several of these communities.  Most of these communities I found searching popular search engines.  This was before I discovered ic.org.  I was amazed at the number of communities in the u.s and around the globe.

ogruelhz
    Participant

Hi, I’m Ruel, currently working here in Saudi Arabia. Living off-grid is a long time dream of mine. I’m planning to retire from work next year and am now looking for a homestead/piece of land where I could buy to fulfill my dream living off-grid in the Philippines.

stewart104
    Participant

Hi i am 26 based in Liverpool and have looked into going off-grid for a while. I have also set up my own facebook page and website. You can contact me at unitedfreedom.org to share ideas and hopefully move our own projects on further

Pricega75
    Participant

I think it’s just B. S. Here are the two main statutes that I have read that are Wisconsin law.

Wis. Stat. § 66.0401

local governments — counties, towns, cities and villages — may not place any restriction on the installation or use of solar or wind energy systems unless the restriction:

serves to preserve or protect public health or safety

does not significantly increase system cost or efficiency

allows for an alternative system of comparable cost and efficiency

This law effectively prohibits unreasonable public land use controls covering solar and wind energy systems by defining a fairly narrow set of “reasonable” conditions. The law subsequently allows for a local permitting procedure for guaranteeing unobstructed access to wind or solar resources. A permit will not be granted if obstruction already exists or if the construction of such an obstruction is already well into the planning stages. The effect of the permit is similar to a private solar easement agreement, except it does not require the consent of a neighboring property owner. It is important to note that system owners are not required to obtain a permit under this subsection prior to installing a solar or wind energy system. If a permit is necessary as the result of a local zoning ordinance, the permitting burden may not deviate from Wis. Stat. § 66.0401 as described above.

Wis. Stat. § 236.292, voids all restrictions on platted land that prevent or unduly restrict the construction or operation of solar and wind energy systems. This law effectively prohibits private land use controls (e.g., deed restrictions, homeowner association regulations, easements, etc.) from preventing the installation and operation of wind and solar energy systems. In the case of both access laws – public and private – solar energy systems are defined broadly to include both thermal and electrical technologies.

But I wouldn’t put it past the big energy companies to try and lobby to get the laws changed.

Pricega75
    Participant
    julian
    Participant

From Davao city. Drop me a mail. geronajulian4@gmail.com

hollyb
    Participant

Hello,

I posted a message about women living off-grid for a documentary project and I can’t find the message anywhere. Can you help?

All the very best,

Holly

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.