Off Grid Home Forums Technical Discussion Problem with 12 v pump supplying on demand water heater

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

I have a 12 volt Sureflow on demand pump supplying a Bosch on demand propane water heater. Pump turns on and off every couple of seconds when hot tap is on. Cold system works fine.

I think back pressure in heater signals pump to turn off. Would a pressure tank or an expansion tank in the system solve the problem?

Is a larger pump required?

Pump turns on at 25 and off at 40 psi.

We have a similar setup, and yes, we have a pressure tank, otherwise, every time we run the water the pump comes on, this is much quieter and makes the water pressure more even.

Wretha

Nick Rosen
    Keymaster

Yes, you need a pressure tank. I have a little 2 gallon one I ordered from backwoods solar in Idaho that works great & will make your pump last longer

elnav

At one time I worked for an RV place and we saw all sorts of ‘defective’ shureflo pumps. I discovered I could disable the ‘defective’ pressure switch by replacing it with a blanking plate and some silicon gasket goo.

Naturally the customer got a replacement pump and went away happy but I saw no reason to throw away perfectly good pumps that just had a problem with a pressure switch. Sometimes I could even fix the faulty switch by adjusting it. You could also plumb in an external pressure switch. Some systems use a pump requiring an external switch so get one of those and bypass the Shurflo switch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.