Off Grid Home Forums Technical Discussion Ideal methods for heating structure

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    EnlightenTogether
    Participant

I have a small 20 ft 1976 trailer that I am planning to use for off-grid living. I am researching ideal methods for heating the space in the winter time and am wondering what you recommend. I will be in the Southwest region of the US (California, Arizona, Nevada, etc.) closer to MX border so the temperature won’t be extremely cold. I am working with limited power availability so less energy use is ideal. Thanks!

What resources/fuel will you have the most of? If you have access to wood, then a small wood burning stove or maybe even a thermal mass rocket stove design would work and it would use less wood.

If you have access to propane, that is another option.

Electric heat is probably the worst option unless you have a huge system.

Wretha

Anonymous
    Inactive

son in law built a small outside wood furnace from an old propane tank
    its inside a larger tank with a 12 vdc blower from a car for fan forced hot air
    it works great, he vented it in thru a window and it kept him and his family warm
    the winter before this past one

Anonymous
    Inactive

i would look to sealing off the area from the ground to the trailer  and any other openings

every winter i pack the snow around my cabin  and i feel it on my feet  the floor is easier to keep warm

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here  is a small wood stove for $219:

https://www.amazon.com

or a sheepherder stove $150-$179

stove

Jay, your links didn’t work… want to post them again? Thanks

OOps, never mind, it does work, just not in the email I got, here it works. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.