Off Grid Home Forums Technical Discussion DIY Refrigerator 12W

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Helena
    Participant

I’m thinking of making a refrigerator that will look like a freezer, a box. Does anyone know if you can buy a kit with the electrical stuff you need? Or know someone on any page that describes this. The idea is that I in winter time turn off the refrigerator and take in the cold outside (like a pantry does) and keep the right temperature.

I am going to have this on a trailer house so I can´t take the cold from the ground.I live in Sweden so it is not that much sun in the winter. and of course I do want to take the opportunity that I have.

You can see my house here https://off-grid.se

elnav

Helena there is a swedish company that specializes in providing fridges and freezers for boats and RV. Their product uses Danfoss compressors which are considered among the world’s most efficient units they run on 12V DC as or domestic voltages such as 230V

I had posted a link to the company website directly but some admin person must have removed it thinking it was spam advertising.

One of the popular brands of refrigerators is called Tundra. It is exceptionally quiet when running and uses very little power.

Another company that makes DIY systems is called Frig-o-Boat. They sell holding plate systems. For boats they useevaporator.

I think you can adapt a Dometic unit most easily. Contact Dometic HQ and see what they can offer. considering what happened to my previous post I dare not include a link but its dometic (dot) com

Good luck from a fellow scandinavian.

kelly24negy
    Participant

thanks for sharing this information..

elnav

Cruising sailboats in particular often end up custom building freezers and refrigerators because the hull is oddly shaped and a square or rectangolaur box often waste space compared to building an insulated container that conforms exactly to the curved and not square corners found in a boat.

Any competent refrigeration service shop can silver solder the tubing together to make a system. Building the insulated box is essentially cabinetry joiner work. The inside can be lined with formica to give a smooth washable and food sanitary surface. By having more than the usual amount of insulation you achieve greater efficiencies so the fridge or freezer uses less energy over a 24 hour period. The key to sucess as requested in the original post is ti make sure the door seals really seal. to achieve a back loading ice compartment the proposed fridge/icebox needs a ddoor either side and the evaporator radiator needs to ne remote mounted. this is not really that difficult with a custom design.

Helena
    Participant

Thanks, I found lots of good information that I should put myself in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.