Off Grid Home Forums Technical Discussion clay or brick ovens

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Has anyone constructed a clay or brick oven for use in cooking bread etc. We are thinking about building one in the garden but would welcome anyone’s experiences.

Thanks, Jenny

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t yet, but we have built a cob (Clay and Straw) house, small with a post and pole loft. House is still in progress, doing some work on it inside this winter. Thinking of building one oven outside and one inside the Cob house. I am gathering some rocks, bricks, straw, have mud, ideas and books, and waiting for weather to warm up. I love to talk mud, cob, brick Pizza /Bread ovens and share what we have so far.

Brenda

Anonymous
    Inactive

Years ago at the Free festivals I met a Dutch guy who baked bread every morning in a 45gallon drum laid on its side with the earth dug from around it and piled over it and the fire placed under it. It needed a very small fire in comparison to the size fo the oven and he made delicious bread and pizza and jacket spuds. I have seen similar ovens since but none as efficient as his design. The nice thing is that once finished you replace the turf and all you have is a small area of charred earth and a few dry turfs. I have never had need of such a construction so haven’t tried but as and when I find need I am sure I will be able to replicate it. And if propane reaches the £2/kg expected by the end of 2010 then I suspect I shall be building one. Mind you I hope to be somewhere else by that time as My experiments on this bit of land are close to complete and I am keen to move to the sun. No amount of off-grid technology can help arthritis!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.