Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion SINGLE WOMAN WANTS TO LIVE OFFGRID

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gwenie
    Participant

Hi; this post is directed to Leah and other single women who are looking to live off grid. I currently live in central VA and would like to find a group of people who are Christians looking to buy a large tract of land that we could homestead together.  I have not been successful so far.   Anyone interested/have any ideas?

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

Yes, but we are not in localality, I have similar ideals, exept, try this proposal…  I plan to get some land in new zealand, i live there, and I feel I must try this idea out”: To set up a home where, powered by water wheel electricity completely, there are no power bills, a permaculture food forest in back yard,.. one the size of which allows a large diversity forest of complete nutritional needs,, and big enough also to trade your stock for items suh as coffee, wine, meat, etc.. ,, A permaculture food forest is a rather unjustifiably underrated method, it produces yeilds at the cost of low maintenance once established. Essentially, the plants are ordered in the way nature places them in a natural environment, plants compliment each other, and a large, wild forest pregnant with life is result! Exept its a food forest! what do you think?

Gwenie
    Participant

Wow, that sounds surreal! and astonishing! I would love love to be part of a community of homesteaders interested in promoting this concept and other self sufficient ideas.  You currently live in New Zealand? Wow, must be such a beautiful beautiful place – how lucky you are! I live in central Virginia – New Zealand is a world away from me. I would love so much to be able to do just what you stated above, but don’t know where or how to start – any ideas? How much land are you planning to purchase? I had the idea of a group of Christians buying a large tract of land, dividing it up and working it just like the idea you have! Please respond and thanks! by the way, my name is Gwen

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

:o ok. According to this picture

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

You need around an acre to have enough room to feed a family of four for a year with traditional gardening, and that number could be made smaller and still work,.. Especially with permaculture I think, everything is more wild and closer together, placed in a way that is beneficial to the whole system of plants,.. so with that figure in mind and including space to trade a portion of the yield from the forest for things like milk and butter, bread,.. I am guessing 2 acres would be an ideal amount of land to own with a small group of people,… This land will need A strong stream though that can be dammed and set up to have the water running off strong onto a water wheel, and then perhaps having another wheel downstream doing the same thing c: And having in mind there will be a large, beautiful and diverse forest of food there it will need…

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

A good climate, appropriate terrain… An acre of land goes for around $50,000 – $70,000 nz dollars i think. 50,000 split between four people that is twelve and a half thousand each to purchase the land! that is nothing like what I thought it would be! I had in mind it would be like 50,000 each or something impossible… Ill need to buy a special peice of land,.. It will need a strong stream running through it, and also the ability to have it running off something onto the top of a water wheel, then again downstream, then again, then again, then again? :P and then have the power company hook up to you and pay you for your exess… :D (not needed)

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

So , I will need to save atleast 20,000. working fulltime and saving 200 dollars a week I will have 20,000 in two years. .. I can begin my dream in two years??!?!?! omg! I had in mind 10 years! oh, i see, i had my perspectives set at what it would take to do it alone :3,, silly me

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

I give myself four years of saving maximum… 200 dollars a week. = 41600 . Cuz I gotta buy seeds! and nails1!

I have seen two acres going for $65,000, and that is not uncommon. perhaps some more research is in order…

Split between four people, … this goal is totally reachable… :D   *looks into the distance with fervour*

faithwalkingmom
    Participant

I was wondering why is it harder for single women to live off the grid then a family or single men?  I am having a awful times getting help/good advice about subjects of off the grid living or topics that relate to it.  I just want to scream.   You think these things are military secrets or something.  I don’t want people to do for me just show me how to.  I am a see it done learner if that makes sense.  If I see it done then I can do it but reading about it is and then doing is harder for me to do.  Finding that kind of person to teach in the manner is hard and I think even harder for a single woman.  Ok I am done venting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.