Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion No Money, No Job, Want to go off Grid and live off the land ASAP

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rachelmc
    Participant

what great posts. very helpful. I thought I had things pretty well planned out. after several months of working, I bought what appeared to be a really good rv. who knew that 2 days later it would break down? well, to make a long story short, here I am back in fl. I had to come here as everything I had was tied up in that rv. I still have my little van. I had to come back here as this is the only pla00.00 ce I have any friends or family. so, here I am, in the same area again where I was. after loosing my job in oct. of 11, I had little part time gigs, but in april lost my car and in june my condo. took the job out of state because I had no hopes here. and I didn’t want to come back here because I knew what I was coming to.  so, here I am, staying in a small room @100.00 a week, and my dogs have to spend nights in the van. worse yet I have to move by march 1.  I have applied for job after job, bad time of year, and it’s very hard when you’re older. if anyone out here says age doesn’t matter, come to jacksonville. on top of that, I have a bum ankle and can’t do some work, such as fast paced work, standing all day, etc.  my choice is, even if I find a job, won’t have money to get a place here by march. looking at about 1,600 for that, with deposits. yes, I know about rooms. and boy oh boy. I got offered rooms from 2 different men and both wanted 100 a week plus sex, plus housekeeping.  gimmie a break. so, as I see it, no matter which way I do anything I am still gonna be homeless come march. with or without a job. it just sux. so, I hoped that between now and then, maybe I could buy some supplies, and find a place to go semi close to a town to find a little job and a place where other people were living for safety reasons. I’m an older woman, and I simply don’t know what to do anymore. I’m not used to being like this, but this is what it appears to be. I have come to the point in my life where I have to ask anyone for help, ideas. yes, I am still applying for work daily, but it’s a bad time of year, it seems. also, there are many people here looking as well. I had some good job leads in texas, but when the rv broke down, I couldn’t go there as I didn’t have any contacts there and not enough money to get a place.  if there are people out here who can offer up places where I could go as far as camping with others around, might have a large tent? with the screened room, etc.? anything.  I’m sorry. I’m not used to being like this. I’m just at my wits end. making things worse, I can’t stay with either of my kids. I would like to thank anyone who responds to this post, either here or to my email, rachelmc62@yahoo.com.  I am not looking to live off someone, nor do I expect anyone to pay my way. if I stay in fl. I have my food stamps. I don’t expect anyone to feed me or my pets. I’m so sorry that I have to even ask for a helping hand at all. do I know about living off the land? no. with help I can put up one of those big tents. I can use a grill. I’m not stupid. I can get an ice chest. I mean, I know a bit about camping. as for communes, that’s very costly. I was stunned.  thank you all in advance for any replies.

puppymama
    Participant

rachel, i can be an email buddy. i hope that helps. if you can find a place for the cats, let me know what type of dogs and maybe we can figure something out. i have done this before and i do know how it feels. i’m going off grid by choice, i prefer the lifestyle, it’s better for my health. keep in touch with me by email. i’ll always have time to listen. hugs girl, yes, i’ve had some of the same offers from men you have had. i currently rent a room in a private house but no monkey business.

Nick Rosen
    Keymaster

These are many good ideas to help.

We just started a Homestead and are offering land use (long term lease) for NO money down or no MONEY per month.  You earn your piece of land-use by daily working the Homestead.  We have an ad posted in the classifieds WANTED section on off-grid.   Feel free to contact us.  But again, there are great ideas in the posts I just read here. Well Done.

Coyote Gulch
    Participant

rachel, I emailed you.   I am a new widow, it would be nice to share this adventure with another person without having to worry about sexual politics, frankly.

Nick Rosen
    Keymaster

Coyote Gulch.  Hi…sorry to hear about your loss.  You are welcome to check out our new Homestead.  There are no politics here…sexual or otherwise (smile).  Feel free to see our ad in the Land Buddy section in off the grid or contact us at redwateracres@yahoo.com.  Good luck.

Coyote Gulch
    Participant

RedWaterAcres, Thanks for the offer but I have 10 acres and a house of my own.  It is the lifestyle that was okay with two doing the work, it is hard with one doing the work.  I would like to share this and get help.  I am totally happy that I can live my dream, at this time.

Nick Rosen
    Keymaster

Coyote Gulch:
    Yes…I read that you had your own land in one of your other off the grid posts…but I wasnt sure if you wanted to continue on your own place if you had no help.

I am sure there are many fond memories there for you so that would be hard to leave…but I thought I would ask.

Please take care and good luck with your life.

Thanks again for responding.

Doug and Tami

newlife
    Participant

Coyote Gulch,

I read the posts about Rachel. I am 60, living with my 

ex, but on borrowed time. We are like oil and water. I ,

too have not had much luck finding work here in Central
    Florida. I have been looking into living off the grid, but
    am not sure that is the way to go. Don’t know how many
    you would like to help out. Maybe Rachel is all you
    might be interested in “taking in”. Don’t know where
    you are located. But if you are interested in more than
    one person, send me an e-mail with some info.
    belindalore@yahoo.com Thanks. You can rest assured
    anything between us is confidential.

greenmama
    Participant

I am a mother with four kids and a husband. Would I be able to do this with four children? I would like to have my plan complete in about a year. I want to be prepared and maybe even join a community. Does anyone have any advice for someone with children planning to go off of grid?

back40
    Participant

Im not sure where your located but i did a 30 mile hike land looking on crown land over 2 days i bet i seen 12 cabins now this is crown government land and cant be owned unless you squat there for seven years then its yours all of these cabins are built to last solid log and some are very nice they are free to use there posted clean up after use and replace the wood you burn they all had log books you sighn in out dates some havent been visited in 12 years except the coons living there and if there in use its common courtesy to move to the next one no more than 3 miles apart some even had reserves of can food if your good with foraging for food hunt fish and have no funds this is a cheap easy way to go but no comforts of solar energy or hot showers it lake for water showers lanterns for light
    Best of luck Back40

beast
    Participant

i was raised off the grid, once tou have the land and full familyparticipation it is actually easy
    th hard part is convincing teens to help
    its much easier if your kids are younger
    to them its an adventure

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.